Skip to main content

Shopping Ban: One Year

This may seem a little crazy, but I have decided to embark on a one year shopping ban that will span from my 28th-29th birthdays. I've never done anything like this, but I decided that going for a year was right for me for a few reasons.

  • I have a lot of debt I want to work on paying off before I turn 30. At the rate I'm going, that won't happen unless I make serious changes.
  • I want to build up savings for emergencies/big purchases in the future.
  • I love traveling and want to have more disposable income to devote to this.
Because this is a year-long journey and shopping bans are so personal, I have created a list of my rules for the shopping ban. My shopping ban includes the following - 
  • No buying new clothes (I have things in my closet I've never worn)
  • No buying new makeup (I rarely wear it, so there is no need to buy more)
  • No buying new books (the library is free)
  • No buying videos on Amazon Prime (I have plenty already)
  • No spending in apps 
  • No starting new subscriptions 
    • I am keeping my current subscriptions of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, CBS All Access, and Youtube Red. However, I plan to assess my usage of these over the next few months to determine which ones I might cut.
  • No eating out alone
  • Eating out 3x per week maximum 
I also have a few exceptions -
  • I can purchase vacation souvenirs and eating out on vacation is unlimited because I budget for that expense
  • I still intend to purchase Christmas and Birthday presents for family
  • I can replace worn out items of clothing that are necessary and I don't have an alternative for (work shoes, work-out clothes, undergarments, work pants)
  • I can purchase my scrapbook supplies for Gilmore Girls Fan Fest 2020

I will still be spending normal amounts on groceries, personal care items, and monthly bills. 

I plan to post monthly updates to track my progress on this adventure.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Begin Again

I am starting this blog over, ten years after beginning it. Hopefully I can stick with it this time around. I am restarting this blog, mostly to document and hold myself accountable to the goals I am setting for the last two years of my twenties. On Tuesday I turn 28 and have a few things I want to accomplish by 30. I have decided to embark on a year-long shopping ban, from my 28th-29th birthdays. I plan to post monthly updates about my progress and what I learn along the way about my shopping habits and consumerism in general. I am also getting serious about exercising and making healthier food choices. Before Tuesday I will post more about my plans for the shopping ban.